You want to login to your Nexus account on the Nexus Mod Manager, but you see login error every time? Don’t worry, in this post; I want to show you how to fix this issue quickly and why it is happening.
Nexus Mod Manager is one of the most popular mod managers for games like Skyrim, Fallout, or Dark Souls. The popularity of this mod manager has maintained besides it has recently replaced by Vortex.
Some of the best mods work only with Nexus Mod Manager, and that’s why it keeps an active community. But like any other program, I thas error, and one of those errors is the Login Error when you want to sign in.
The error display the following message:
Login error: Cannot reach the Nexus login server. Either your firewall is blocking NMM, or the login server is down.
How to Fix Nexus Mod Manager Login Error
Before starting with the solutions that you can find in the next section, I will talk a little why this error appears suddenly on your computer.
You should be able to fix this error with the first solution unless you have some other conflict on your computer that you can fix with the other ones. But what happens is that European regulations some while ago, demand that all connections have to be made trought HTTPS.
HTTPS is a secure way that encrypts the data sent from your computer to the server; therefore, it secures passwords and data from any intruder that could be monitoring your network.
Nexus Mod Manager, like any other software, has to meet these new stipulations and change their servers to the new HTTPS and release a new version of the program. Therefore, if you have installed and old NNM version on your computer, that’s the reason why the login error appears.
Without further delay, lest start with the first solution.
Solution 1: Update NNM
Like I said in the lines above, this login error appears because you have an old NNM version installed on your computer that doesn’t support the HTTPS connections.
Therefore you need to update the Nexus Mod Manager to fix this issue. The quickest way to do this is from the software itself.
- Launch Nexus Mod Manager and then click on OK to start the manager
- When the program starts, it will check for updates, and it will show the available one. There you only need to click on Update, and when finished, restart your computer.
If Nexus Mod Manager doesn’t show you any update, you can visit the official website and download the latest version from there. Double click in the file and install it, as usual, this installer will update your NNM version automatically.
Solution 2: Disable Antivirus
If you have installed the latest NNM version and you still seeing the login error, that could mean that some security software is blocking the connections of the program.
A quick way to fix this problem is by disabling the antivirus temporarily while you log in to your Nexus account.
- In this example, I will use Avast, but you can follow the same steps for other antiviruses. First, navigate to the Windows Taskbar and there right-click on the antivirus icon
- In the menu that opens, navigate trought the options Disable shield and Disable protection for 1 hour
- Now, you can try to login again to Nexus Mod Manager to verify if the issue has been fixed
Solution 3: Add NMM to Firewall
When you find the Nexus login error, it tells you that maybe there is some Firewall that is blocking the connections to the program. Therefore you can try to allow the software Nexus Mod Manager trought the Windows Firewall to fix this issue. You can do that folñlowing these steps:
- First, press the keys Win + R and type the command control. Hit Enter to open the Control Panel
- In there, navigate to the section System and Security and then click on Windows Firewall
- To the left you should see some options, there click on Allow an app trought the Windows Firewall
- A new window will appear, and there click on Change settings. Now scroll down until you find the program Nexus Mod Manager, there check the boxes private and public and click on OK to save the changes
- Now restart NNM and check if you can log in without problems
This Nexus Mod Manager login error is something annoying when you don’t know what is wrong, but thanks to these solutions and tips, you should be able to sign in into your Nexus account without problems.
If you need more help with Nexus Mod Manager, here you have some related articles: