How To Repair Hard Drive Bad Sectors in Windows 10, 8 or 7
The hard drive is one of the most vital components of any operating system with which we do more than store information.
Although hard drives evolved over the years, to such an extent that today we have solid state disks, SDDs, which offer better performance, mechanical disks are still present in millions of equipment at the same level worldwide.
There are two types of failures in the sectors of a hard drive:
- Logical failure: It refers to a software error generated when its impossible to access the sector.
- Physical failure: Indicates a hardware error and is the most critical because this type of error affects part of the hard disk either by bumps or scratches.
Today you will see some tips to fix, if possible, these bad sectors.
Method #1: Run CHKDSK
CHKDSK is a command-line utility designed for scanning and repairing hard drives in Windows environments.
- To make use of this utility, open the Command Prompt as administrator and execute the following command: chkdsk C: /f
- Press Enter to confirm the action:
The /f parameter detects and repairs logical problems that affect the hard drive. Another parameter that you can use is /r which fixes physical issues of the hard disk:
chkdsk M: / r
Method #2: Hard Drive Graphical Interface
- Open the File Explorer and right-click on your Drive Unit and click on Properties.
- Go to the Tools tab and there click on the Check button located in the section Error Checking:
- The respective analysis process will start which will give you the result of whether or not you have errors on the selected disk.
With one of these methods, it will be useful and straightforward to analyze your hard drives to detect any failure and take the appropriate administrative or correction measures.