Today we are going to talk about how to Clone Hard Drive in Windows 10.
When we have a new computer, is easy to start adding programs, applications, and files.
The problem comes when after some time there is a failure in the System, and we must migrate all that, sometimes the error is so serious that everything merely is deleted.
Therefore, it is essential that you always have a backup of your System.
This way in case of reinstallation you will only have to restore that backup in a few steps.
Today there are two types of software to perform the task of cloning a hard drive online and offline.
- Online: It allows to make the copy of the disk without having to turn off or restart the computer, and the user can continue with their normal activities.
- Offline: It is necessary to make the copy of the disk by restarting the system and entering the configuration of the equipment, as is the case of WinPE, which prevents the user from performing their tasks in a usual manner.
What we recommend is that you make a clone of the hard drive once you have installed the necessary essential programs and have your computer ready.
Method #1: Clone Hard Drive with HDClone
- The first thing will be to download HDClone from the official website for free.
- Install the software and choose how you want to boot
- Open the app and click on Disk under Cloning
- Select the hard drive you want to clone and click Next
- Now select the destination disk to start cloning your hard drive
- Select the options you want and press Next.
- The process will begin, and the cloning will take place.
Method #2: Macrium Reflect Free
Macrium Reflect has a free version for Home versions and a paid version for Enterprise versions.
Download the tool from the following link. Once downloaded, run it to work with it.
You can see that the tool analyzes and displays the partitions that we currently have on Windows 10. To create a “clone” of our primary hard drive, we select the disk to backup, in this case: C
On the left side we have two options:
- Image selected disks on this computer: This option allows us to create the backup of the selected image, in this case, the number 2; If we choose this option we will see that the following window is opened to perform the backup only with the selected disk unit.
- Create an image of the partition (s) required to backup and restore Windows: If we select this option, we will see that automatically select not only the unit we have marked (2) but also the unit number 1 associated with Reserved for the system.
For this case, we select the option Create an image of the partition, and as we see, we must define where to save the backup of the image.
In this case, we have created a partition called Backup DD (F).
If we click the option Alternative locations, we can save our image on a device such as CD, DVD or USB.
Click Next, and we have to configure all the parameters related to the image.
Some of those parameters are:
- Backup programming
- Type of backup (incremental or differential).
- Delete files in a certain period of time among others.
Click Next, and we can see a summary of the backup task. Press the Finish button to start the backup process.
If its necessary to restore an image of the hard disk for some reason we must open Macrium and select the Restore tab .
Method #3: EaseUS Partition Master
Another tool that to clone hard drives is EaseUS Partition Master which we can download for free from the following link.
Once installed EaseUS we proceed to run it.
To start the copying process, right-click on the drive you want to backup and select the Copy partition option .
Once the analysis has been completed, click Next and we must define in which partition or disk we are going to save the image.
Then we click Next and there will begin the process of creating the image.
This option doesn’t have the same advantages that we found with Macrium since we cant assign passwords or encryption to the unit.
Method #4: Paragon Backup and Recovery
Another of the free tools that give us the possibility of creating backups of our hard drives is Paragon Backup and Recovery which can be downloaded from the following link.
We have several alternatives to backup our hard drive; we can make the copy to a virtual disk, create an incremental copy, etc. For this example, we will use the Backup & Recovery option.
To start the backup, we can select the option Backup to VD or Incremental Backup to VD.
We are going to explore the option of backup to VD (Virtual Disk) so we click on Backup to VD, the wizard will be displayed.
Press Next and we must select the partition or the whole discs that we want to back up.
Press Next again and in the next window, we must indicate where to install the hard disk image.
We click Next, and we will see that we have completed all the steps of the wizard. To conclude the process, click on the Finish button.
Once the Paragon window is opened again, we must press the Apply button to save the changes or press the Discard button to discard them.
Once pressed Apply initiates the backup process.
Method #5: AOMEI Backupper
Finally, we are going to analyze the following free tool called AOMEI Backupper.
This tool can be downloaded from the following link.
Once we have installed AOMEI (The process is very simple), we will see the following environment.
To start the backup of a hard drive or partition, press the Create New Backup button .
Select the option Disk Backup; the following window will be displayed where we must choose the disk to which we will make the backup and the destination where we will save it.
To start the process, just press the Start Backup button. We will see that the copy of the disk has been satisfactory.
Thanks for reading this, those are some of the best software that I recommend to clone hard drivers in Windows 10.
If you have any question about this tutorial, leave a comment below.