When we send some file to be printed locally or in a network, these documents are stored in the print queue. Whether it is our printer or a network printer, we must clean these files to prevent use unnecessary space.
In the print queue, we have a list of all the files ready to be printed; it is something like a terminal where each document waits its turn to be printed physically.
Sometimes we must access the print queue to delete the files for one of the following reasons:
- Printer failure
- Network errors
- Corrupt files
- Connection error
In this tutorial, we will see how we can access the print queue in Windows 10 and delete those files that are there in a practical and fast way.
Method #1: Clean Print Queue using Settings
The first method is to use the Devices option in the Settings utility.
- Open the Start Menu and click on Settings or press the following keys Winkey + I
- Select Devices
- There click on your printer and in the displayed options, click on Open queue
- Now, you can see the documents that are in the Print Queue
- To delete it, right-click on the file and choose the Cancel option
Method #2: Clean Print Queue using Printer Icon
This is one of the easiest methods to erase the print queue in Windows 10.
When we send a document to print, in the task bar, the Printer Icon appears indicating that it is active.
Double click on the icon and, go to the File menu and select the Cancel All Documents option.
Using this method, you will delete all documents ready for printing.
Method #3: Clean Print Queue using Control Panel
Another alternative available in Windows 10 to clean print queue is to use the Devices and Printers option in the Control Panel.
For this, open the Control Panel using any of the following options.
There select the option View devices and printers under Hardware and Sound.
Now, right click on your default printer and select the option See what’s printing
Like the other methods above you can see the files ready to be printed, so right-click on it and select Cancel
Method #4: Clean Print Queue Manually
The next method to clean print queue is through the printing service in Windows 10.
- First, open Run pressing the keys Winkey + R
- Type the command
services.mscand press Enter
- Locate the Print Spooler service and right.click on it and select Stop
- Open the File Explorer and go to the following folder:
- On this folder delete all the files, and once this is done you can start the Print Spooler service again by right clicking and selecting Start
As you can see using one of these simple methods you can clean the print queue in Windows 10 quickly and practically.